About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Oh, the dreaded seat

Well, I'm tossing the cafe-style seat concept out the door. Money and time spent, lesson learned, and life goes on. I am, however, not giving up. Yup, I'm a stubborn son of a ...

The F model simply does not lend itself to become a cafe bike. It has its own sexy lines, and I'd like to preserve those lines as best as I can, minus the tail section. Yes, I know the purists will hate me, but this is my bike, and I hate the stock tail. So, to the best of my abilities, I'll be trying to make a new plug, and play with a different style tail.

Lessons learned? Plenty: take my time; use rigid foam and not the crappy expanding stuff in a can; draw before you cut (hmm, sounds obvious, doesn't it?); fiberglass is a learning process; a better, more expensive resin does not stink as bad as the cheap stuff; mat is stronger than cloth; and time (again) -- don't try to rush it.

Thus armed with my newly acquired knowledge, I bought some pink rigid foam at Home Depot, got some 3M glue, and got going again. This time, I started with a solid block of glued-up foam layers. I went below the frame rails, as I want those to be hidden, for a nice, clean look.

Here is the current concept for the tail section. Don;t laugh at my drawing in-abilities.

And here is the clean, blank block of foam.

From the rear (decreasing width like the gas tank).

And after I cut the lower portion to follow the stock lines of the side covers.

In the end, this may not work out. I'm having fun with some foam and a rasp nevertheless.

No comments: