About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, June 27, 2011

CB750F Project: Part IV

Not much progress, but I've been busy nonetheless.
I had the rear chocks off, trying to see if/how to take them apart for painting/powdercoating, but since these are the gas-charged units, I don't see a way to take them apart. My Clymer's book says there is a locknut under the top eye, but I don't see it, even though I compressed the springs. Well, it may be time to bring the shocks to someone who knows what they are doing.

I spent the past couple of days grinding, filling, sanding, and priming. The tank became the first victim to my fury. Armed with a sander, I removed all of the factory paint to bare metal. And a good decision this was, as the tank had surface rust under the factory primer. Once I smoothed my fiberglass filler and topcoated it with glazing putty, it was time for a thin coat of etching primer. So far so good. Things, however, did not work out that well, since I screwed up. What did I do wrong? Well, prior to priming, I wiped the tank down with some paint thinner (yeah, a bad choice, but that's what I had on hand). At first all appeared fine, but when I topcoated the etching primer with a sandable primer, one repaired area showed signs on trouble. The largest repair patch on the tank soaked up the paint thinner and, despite the hot sunny day, did not dry well enough. To make this short, the sandable primer bubbled up by day 2, and never hardened. I ground the filler out tonight, cleaned the metal, feathered the surrounding area, and applied some new filler. Now it's a waiting game. The rest of the tank is almost done, wet-sanded with a 320 grit, and ready for the last primer coat, which will come once all is smooth and the damaged area repaired.
There is some progress with the rear fender/cowl. As of today, the plug has been glassed (4 layers of cloth), and is ready for trimming. Once I pull it off the plug, I plan to do an extra layer (or two) of mat + resin from the inside, to provide additional strength.



Of course, the dreaded part still awaits me: Sanding the glass and prepping it for paint, which will take some time to do. 

No comments: