About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Saturday, June 18, 2011

CB750F Project: Part III

After two failed attempts with fiberglass, I was finally able to make a solid shell today. My previous attempts were doomed partly because of my inexperience (first time working with fiberglass), and partly because I was dealing with a not-so-good resin. So, still discouraged despite the many wasted hours, I trashed the bastard creations along with the bad resin, and went to a local parts store to get something better. This time, things actually worked better.
I ended up using fiberglass mat instead of cloth for the base. While this is considerably stronger than the cloth, I quickly discovered that working the resin into the mat can be pretty tricky. The loose strands like to stick to the brush, and eventually end up clumping in the resin. I'm sure by now some experienced fiberglass guru is laughing his ass off at me, but hey, at least I try. Anyway, three layers of mat followed by a single layer of cloth for a smoother finish, I ended up with a usable shell. I can't even begin to count how many hours and how much money it cost me.

Now comes the part where I have to make a decision. My initial idea was to leave the tailsection open, looking something like this (not the end product - trimming, sanding still needed)


But then I played around with the idea of incorporating the stock fender into the design.




And then I thought of yet another setup.

Well, at this points it is still up in the air, although I'm leaning towards incorporating the stock rear fender.

On a positive note: Yesterday I received my new handlebars. After much consideration I went with "superbike" bars, as they allow for more comfort and actually clear the tank at a full turn. So far, without the seat foam in place, the riding position feels rather comfortable.

2 comments:

James Theriot said...

Have you thought of a cafe style pan? There are planty of vendors who sell them. I see that you are wanting to do it from scratch. It's coming along nicely. I hope that the finished product comes out the way you see it in your head.

Henry Martin said...

Yeah, I thought about a cafe-style pan. There are two problems with it, at least in my opinion:
1) The ones for CB750F are too square and too bulky for my taste.
2) The F (super sport) model has numerous design lines going against it for a cafe-styled bike. The tank is actually sculpted and not flat bottomed. The seat rails are curved and not flat. The tank is designed with sidecovers in mind, so there is no pretty way to open up the airbox/battery area. The wheels are not spoke. The chassis is longer.

Now, don't get me wrong, as I'm not complaining. The truth is the F bike has its own sexy lines (in its own way) that I'd like to preserve. This bike will never be a cafe to my liking, but it will be a bike of my own (to a certain degree).