About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Slip-on Exhaust BMW G650GS

UPDATE at bottom of the page!


After owning my little Beemer for about a year and a half, I decided it was time to do something about the few things that bothered me...and one of those things was the exhaust.

The G650GS, much like its predecessor the F650GS single, is a nice, well thought-out machine. Except, it does not really sound like a motorcycle. And while I personally don't care for loud pipes, I don't want my bike sounding like a sewing machine either.

Unfortunately,despite the fact it has been produced for years, there aren't that many options when it comes to aftermarket exhausts for the F650GS / G650GS. Staintune, Akrapovic, Two Brothers...none of them exactly cheap. Then someone on ADV posted a link to an Italian-made stainless exhaust within my price range.

I communicated with the seller directly, off Ebay, and placed my order on Tuesday, May 22. Paid via Paypal, and hoped to get the exhaust within a week or two. On Thursday, May 24, a DHL truck showed up in my driveway with a box.

Hello GPR Tri-oval!


 This is how the exhaust showed up. Well packaged, and without any damage. Kudos to DHL.

Inside the box was a smaller box containing the exhaust (wrapped in bubble wrap and an extra layer), a bag of small parts, and an instructions sheet.
Once unpacked:

 The connector pipe came with an extra sleeve to be used on older models with a smaller diameter header pipe. I did not need this on my 2009 G650GS, but it was nice it was included.

 The connector pipe installed easily, just a slip on to the header pipe, and clamp using either the supplied clamp, or the stock BMW clamp. I used the new one, since the old one was probably stretched some.


The exhaust itself came with two baffles. The seller calls these "Db Killers" but these are mechanical baffles alright. One the outside they appear identical, but they have a different diameter opening. I chose the more restricted one, to make the straight-through muffler a little quieter. 

The can itself mounts with a pre-bent clamp and an 8mm bolt, which goes through a tab. The tab mounts on to the stock location, and is retained by a set screw (Allen head). The can is then attached to the connector pipe with two springs.
As you can see, it clears my Givi racks just fine. Here is a picture from behind.


Following the 30 minutes long installation, the bike started normally. The ECU should adjust itself for the added airflow after some miles with this mod. Combined with the opened air intake I did last week, this exhaust makes a really nice sound. I'm not sure of any (if any) performance changes as I have only ridden and couple of miles with this setup, but I will post an update in the future.

If nothing else, this exhaust looks and sounds good. At the minimum, I shaved off some weight (which is always a good thing) and now I have extra space on the right hand side to hang my tool tubes.

Overall, I'm impressed with the speedy delivery. The finish on this exhaust is nice, without any machining marks in the polished area. The connector pipe is a standard mill finish type. The exhaust came with everything necessary to make the switch without having to make a trip to the hardware store, and installation was a breeze.

Of course, GPR makes other models as well, and their entire line can be seen here: http://www.gpr.it/home.htm?language=en  

If you are considering an aftermarket exhaust for your Beemer, I can highly recommend dealing with Alex, who not only shipped pronto, but also communicated with me during and after the order. he can be reached at:  info@motochepassione.it

Website: http://motochepassione.it/categorie.php?categoria=7

UPDATE:

After a few days of riding, I really like the exhaust. Bike seems to rev easier, and throttle response is quite improved, especially mid-range. When riding slowly, the exhaust is very quiet, but as soon as I pull the throttle wide open, it can be heard - in a good way.
For you EU guys: The exhaust has E3 stamp, and comes with a "homologation certificate".

And finally the good news: Alex (the guy who sold me the exhaust), saw this review and liked it. I talked to him a bit about pricing and he agreed to extend a 10% discount to purchases paid direct via PayPal (not via Ebay). So, if you see something you like on ebay, just shoot him an email directly and mention the 10% discount. I believe this goes both for the US$ and the Euro prices.
And, in the interest of full disclosure: I'm not getting anything from promoting this. Just a happy customer who asked the right question. 

10 comments:

Jen Winget said...

Excellent information.......Mufflers Toowoomba

Anonymous said...

Nice information about motor bikes Toowoomba.Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

thanks for sharing this post ....

Mufflers Toowoomba

jon wilson said...

This is very nice and informative post . I like this post very much.
Mufflers Toowoomba

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this review and giving us an idea where to buy this exhaust.

johnnyS said...

Thanks for posting this review and for giving us an idea where to get this exhausts.

Unknown said...

Gorgeous!! this is such a great project! thanks so much for sharing!
Also know about Motorbike Shop Toowoomba Queensland Australia.

Anonymous said...

its 2016 + after seeing this post i ordered that exhaust on e-bay in the UK, delivered in a week. it looks good but not yet installed on my 2016 G650GS, but will soon be. thanks for posting!!

Unknown said...

Thanks was just told i need a power commander if i want to put an aftermarket exhaust on!

I think i am being lied to can anyone fill me in.

Henry Martin said...

Jason,

I did not add any power commanderwhen I did my modification. The ECU relearns based on intake and exhaust all the time. It may take a few miles, but that's about it.