About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

KLR 250 Project: Part XII

Finally some real progress!

After clearing the nut and the screwdriver from the timing/cam chain area, and putting everything back together, I was able to proceed.
Engine was filled with fresh oil and new coolant. All motor wires were connected back together, chain installed, rear brake hooked up and set, and the gas tank was temporarily installed. Control cables were routed and adjusted. I poured a little bit of fresh gas in there, waited a minute to prime the carburetor, and, holding my breath, reached for the kickstart. On the second kick, the engine started and ran, ran, ran. She is a little loud, but that could be because the previous owner opened up the airbox. There was a little white smoke coming from the exhaust, but that could be due to running the choke (still waiting for my choke cable), and the fresh oil on the air filter. Nevertheless, she ran.

And then I noticed gas leaking from the petcock. I shut her off, took the tank off and drained what I could. Clearly, the petcock is busted, but I didn't have the chance to look at it yet. I'll try to play with it tonight to see if it can be repaired.

Bike then sat overnight with a clean piece of cardboard underneath to spot any leaks, and I'm happy to report there are none!

If all goes well, she'll be going on her maiden woods voyage this weekend.

Still to do:

Radiator covers and plastics.
Body panels.
Choke cable, plunger, and spring.
Wire lights, switches, controls, horn, and turn signals.
Upholster seat.
Boil coolant and add as necessary.
Check all gauges.
Bleed front brake and replace brake fluid.
Adjust clutch.
Install shifter.
Bypass sidestand switch.

Test and ride.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I'll find out as I work my way through the list. 

No comments: