About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why do you ride?

Over the past few months the number of visits to posts pertaining to motorcycles has consistently outnumbered the number of visits to other posts. I’m glad to see that my homemade farkles and maintenance reports are generating so much interest. Nevertheless, there is only so much maintaining and improving a man can do before it is all done, and with the 5ft of snow in front of my driveway there is no chance of writing a trip report any time soon.

That being said, I’d like to keep things motorcycle-related, but lets stir things up a little. I’ll ask a motorcycle-related question and give you my take on it. Now, for this to work, you the readers have to get involved a little and actually write something in response. After all, this is not supposed to be a blog about me.

Today’s question: Why do you ride?

My take on it:

I ride, because motorcycling allows me the most freedom short of breaking the law. Unrestrained by a metal cage with a few windows, I’m able to taste the road, so to say. For me, being on a bike is very meditative. When I ride, I don’t listen to music, there is no fan blowing air at me, the scents are pure and unrestricted, flowing straight into my helmet. I can experience the scenery in its full dimension, be it a paved road in the countryside, a busy intersection in the middle of a city, or a muddy trail in a forest somewhere I never knew existed. Without trying, my body and my senses work together in unison to guide me along the path. It is the perfect harmony.
At the same time, undisturbed by the noise of the world and removed from the everyday clutter, my mind clears, lulled by the soft monotone purrs put forth by the engine.
While riding, I often transcend to sort of a meditative state, and become aware of my own mortality. This, as strange as it may sound, makes me appreciate life more. Knowing that at any moment I could be ejected from the seat and impact against the hard road, ending up either dead or, (worse) crippled…knowing and being aware of how fragile life is, makes me feel at peace. And for all this, I appreciate riding, especially the adventure kind.

Your turn… 
  

2 comments:

Henry Martin said...

You sure are a quiet bunch. Strangely enough, I thought that some of you lurkers would open up and participate in a discussion.

Unknown said...

great blog Henry .