About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, February 14, 2011

All the crap we throw on our bikes and why.

Lets try again to get you talking.

Today's topic: All the crap we throw on our bikes and why do we do it.

Back in August, 2010 I brought my "new-to-me" G650GS home in a like-new factory condition. It took but a few days for me to start messing with it. Not that the factory bike was inadequate, but as with any factory ride, it was missing a few things that improve either performance, safety, or comfort.

I began by installing hard luggage. In my case, it was Givi, as, over the years, I've been very happy with their products on a few bikes I owned at one time or another. For the BMW, I went with narrow sidecases (E21) and a medium top case (E460). The stock black, of course, did not compliment the bike, so I went ahead and color-match painted the lids.
The second thing I did was to improve the stock lighting by installing a lightbar (see older posts) and two 35w H3 lights to illuminate the sides a little better.
Next was a windshield, as the stock item does not even deserve the name windshield. Ztechnik touring did the trick for me.
As I starting taking the bike off-road more frequently, I quickly discovered that the stock skidplate was no match for rocks and boulders. It took the first real "ding" in the engine cover to get me on the phone, ordering a set of OEM engine guards.
While the heated grips do an okay job keeping my hands happy, I find myself (more often than not) riding in the rain. Soaked leather gloves result in wet hands that just don't stay warm, and riding with thick waterproof gloves can be uncomfortable. To remedy this, I now have some hand protectors in place.
Rear brake master cylinder cover may seem like a rather unnecessary idea, but the availability of a piece of aluminum, of the right dimensions and shape, made it easy to get and install.
And finally, while the hard luggage is both comfortable and secure, the ability to access things easily just isn't there. So, for the map, camera, and a drink, I got myself a tankbag.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot the GPS.

Now, what about you?

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Some farkle to make their bikes faster, some farkle to make their bikes pretty, and some farkle to make their bikes more practical. Sounds like we're both in the last camp.

I've added a custom seat, handguards, frame sliders, electrical accessories like a voltmeter and heated grips and jacket temp controllers, hyperlite brake and running lights... all to make my bike more comfortable for longer distances and year-round riding and daily commuting.

Not quite as sexy as a titanium exhaust that blats noise, but I dig it just the same.

Henry Martin said...

Stacy: Thanks for participating.

May I ask about the custom seat make and how do you like it?

I thought about one as well, but the usual suspects (Corbin, etc) don't seem to offer enough improvement to justify the cost. Full blown custom seat would do the trick, but the price tag is huge.

Stacy said...

I have Don Weber custom seats on both my SV650 and DR200. The connection between butt and bike is crucial for comfortable riding. You'll get use out of a custom seat 100% of the time you ride, and I absolutely love both of the seats Don has made for me. (Unlike Corbin, et al, Don actually makes the seat to fit YOU.)

The price tag is indeed large, but I just mentally tack on the price of a custom seat to any bike I'm thinking of buying.