About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, February 7, 2011

BMW Hand Protectors

About three weeks ago, my better half gave me a gift card valid at the nearest BMW dealership. While I feel that my bike is pretty much set up the way I want it, there was one thing I've been eying for some time: a set of handguards.
Strangely enough, if one wants to leave the stock setup, that is bar end-weights and such, there are not too many choices as far as handguards go. Sure, there are a ton of worthy aftermarket options, but almost none without modifying the bike. The aftermarket options which would allow me to keep the rest of the bike stock are either too expensive, or won't work with my touring windshield due to clearance issues.
Well, since I got the gift card, I went ahead and took a trip down to the bike shop, returning home two hours later with an OEM set. BMW calls these "hand protectors" instead of handguards, and there is a good reason behind it. Constructed entirely of plastic without any metal backbone, these may protect my hands from the elements, but won't guard my hands against injury should I hit the ground. Nevertheless, I tend to spend much more time with the bike up, so protection from the elements is sufficient for the kind of riding I do. In combination with my heated heated grips, these "protectors" should work rather well keeping me comfortable and warm, along with providing some added rain protection. This, in turn, will let me ride with thinner gloves, which lets me have a better grip on the bars.
The design is simple, the plastic seems fairly tough and flexible, and installation is a breeze.
First, snap off the cable ties that hold the wiring to the handlebars. Then unscrew the bolt that holds end-weights in place. BMW provided me with new bolts, but they were the same size as the existing ones, so I just reused the old ones. 
Next, I wrapped some tape around the bars to prevent scratching and subsequent rust. This is not required or even mentioned, but it just makes sense. insert the rear part of the clamp.
Tighten the hand protectors and the clamp together using supplied bolts, followed by bolting through the end-weights. For me, anything bolted on calls for a drop of blue Loctite and this was no exception.
Once mounted, these are surprisingly strong.

The only concern is the right side protector rubbing against the front brake master cylinder. While this is not a structural concern, it still annoys me. No matter which way I move the protector itself or the master cylinder, the two always contact upon re-tightening.

Now I just need to hardwire a GPS and get a tankbag mounted. Oh, and some snow thawing would certainly help to make me feel better. 

No comments: