About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, January 2, 2012

Finally moving ahead

Finally, I have some progress with the CX500 to report.

Here is what held me up for so long:

First, it was the cam chain tensioner, then the mechanical seal. The tensioner issue was solved once I found a good used part on ebay, but the mechanical seal continued giving me a headache. The first seal I ordered did not fit, so I ended up sending it back, and ordering a new one. This time, Honda confirmed that it is the right part number, despite the fact that i could not fir the seal into the opening. Since both Honda and the dealership were telling me that I was wrong. I dropped the rear cover off at the dealership and told them to press it in if they were so smart. Well, they couldn't.

After some extra research, I found out that the earlier mechanical seals were 27.5mm in diameter, while the newer ones are 28mm in diameter. So, unwilling to take the chances with the dealer, I brought the rear cover to my friendly local machine shop. I had to wait three days for the guy to finish his automated batches, and then an hour while he worked on my cover. He did it while I waited.

First, he ended up making the hole true and round. It was off by a couple thousands of an inch. We then figured out the proper dimensions, he punched it into his CNC mill, and the machine did the rest. We figured a good tight fit, with the difference between the seal and the opening of 0.0015". A dab of blue Loctite on the seal, and we pressed it in. It worked like a charm.

Since I had the cover off anyway, I also ended up replacing the oil seals on the shifter and the shaft drive.

Tomorrow, if I get the chance, I'll be finally able to close the motor up. But first I'll have to replace the O-rings on the coolant pipes, and make sure everything seals the way it should.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this. I was at the same point this morning realizing the new mech seal is larger than the old. Now to find someone to enlarge the opening for me.

Henry Martin said...

Should be fairly easy - any decent machine shop can do it for you. If not, some people have used abrasive wheels to do it at home.