About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

KLR 250 Project: Part II

To get a better view of what I'm working with, I removed the plastics, light housing, instrument cluster and...essentially everything non-essential. The bike being naked, I was able to see a little better. After wrestling with some rusted threads on subframe bolts, the entire thing came apart without incident. The rear shock is busted -- well, it has no dampening whatsoever, so that has to come out next.

At this point, I'm working without a manual or any resource whatsoever, so I'm following my 'gut feeling' what it comes to what to tackle next. Well, since the kickstart is non-operational, I decided to head there. After looking at the motor, I discovered that the only way to get there is to remove the entire clutch cover. This, however, proved to be a slightly more complicated, as the cover would not come off. A little bit more tinkering and I found out that the cover was hanging on the water pump assembly, so the water pump had to come off as well. Is it just me or is this a really strange design? A few more bolts and a nut holding the turbine on its shaft and the cover slid off with ease.
Surprisingly, it's much cleaner there than what I thought.

No metal shavings or loose parts whatsoever, so that's the good news. I was quite surprised to find the oil filter in decent shape. Of course, it will have to be replaced.

So, looking at the kistart assembly, I'm not sure what to look for. The spring, which I initially thought to be broken since it does not return the lever up right, seems to be in one piece. Tomorrow I'll try to take the whole assembly off and figure out what's going on with it.

For now, I'm happy the clutch plates look okay with plenty of life left in them. One less thing to take apart.

Any tips or suggestions on the kickstart?

No comments: