About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Motoracks luggage racks for WR250R - a review

Many WR250R riders who have discovered the diversity the little Japanese beast has to offer are taking their bikes on longer trips, exploring the dirty side of the world. I am no exception. In fact, I sold my BMW 650GS because it was hardly ridden since I got my little WR250R. Don't be fooled by the humble 250cc motor in this puppy - with a few changes, the bike is more than capable of long distance touring.

With this in mind, I spent this past winter making the necessary modifications to turn my WR into a long distance, do-all weapon. The only thing left to do was to select a suitable luggage.

Like many other WR250R owners, I was rather disappointed when Wolfman stopped offering their luggage racks for the WR. Now that they are made of unobtanium, their prices skyrocketed (that is, if you can find a set). I was of the opinion that the Wolfman setup was the best option for the WR, as most other racks on the market are either too large or too weak.  But wait a minute, NOW there is a new kid on the block, made by the trusted Moto-racks company in Vermont.

When I first learned that Moto-racks were considering making a set for the WR250R (and X), I was excited. Little did I know that I would become the first customer to receive the first production set made for our bikes.

Today, the package arrived.I must say, there were more newspapers than anything else, but it made for an increased anticipation as I worked my way through the pile.
And this is what came out from all that packaging: Two racks (wrapped in plastic bags), a bracket, and a bag of bolts.
The racks are finished in smooth, satin-finish black powdercoat, and every surface (including all welds) is coated well. Corners, edges, loops . . . all passed my careful inspection.

Wasting no time, I started on the install. First, I tackled the left side (all three bolts of it). My bike does not have passenger footpegs on it, so it was very easy.
There is one bolt at the top that goes into a nut welded to the subframe. You'll see it there, installed from the factory (where the helmet lock should be).  It is threaded already, so just grab the bolt and go for it. Finger tight only at this point.
Next, you have two lower bolts that attach where the passenger footpeg should be (or is, if you did not remove yours). Again, finger tight until it all lines up.
Now that you have it all lined up, grab your wrench (or a tool of choice) and tighten all three bolts. I use blue Loctite on mine, because I like my bolts to stay put no matter what vibrations I put the bike through.

Side shot.


On the right side, the installation is slightly more complicated (by two extra bolts).

First, you need to install a bracket (provided in the package) that links two mounting points together. The exhaust side does not have a gusset welded in like the left side does, so this bracket does two things: Allows for mounting of the rack, and reinforces the subframe at the weakest point.
First bolt is right next to the exhaust mount. Use a washer and a nut.
Next is the underside mount. The 8mm bolt goes through a hole in the subframe, and the bracket is offset with an aluminum spacer (also provided). I have done this without removing the rear fender. Just slide the nut between the fender and the subframe, hold it in place until you start the bolt, then use an open wrench to hold while tightening. Again, all bolts fingertight until you know it all lines up.
The actual rack mounts to the extra hole in the bracket.
Next come the two lower bolts that attach to the passenger footpeg mounts. If you do not have your footpegs in place, you will need a pair of washers to offset the rack from the mount, as there is a bolt head between the two holes. This bolt head stick out a little above the mounting surface.

Again, one it is all lined up, tighten your bolts. This rack really hugs the exhaust, and does not stick out too much.
 And a side shot.


  Here is what the racks look like from behind.
And each side from the front.




The installation was pain-free and straightforward. I will admit that I have used different bolts than what Moto-racks provided (I love stainless steel buttonhead bolts), but the installation process would have been the same regardless of this.

The fit and finish are first class. All holes lined up where they should have, there was no need to force anything, and no part of either rack rubs against anything on the bike. I have had more trouble with Touratech installations than with this one :)

I will give these racks a shakedown on some rough trails as soon as I can, but they are well-made and a plenty stout for anything I would be willing to throw on the bike.

And the best part: The racks are made right here in Vermont, USA. By purchasing their racks, you are supporting a small business that spends its income in the community; not a multinational corporation that parks its profits in some tax haven.

To find out more about these racks, or racks for other advnture bikes, visit moto-racks.com


Moto-racks also offers several luggage choices for the adventure rider, so you can get all you need in one place. Luggage 

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Is the distance from centerline to both left and right sides equal or is the right side a greater distance from centerline than the left?

Henry Martin said...

Hi Kurt,

The right side is farther out, as it has to clear the muffler.

Charles C Hagaman said...

To kick off our Calpak luggage review we started with the aesthetics of the Silverlake suitcase. A shiny, contemporary design with sleek and compact styling, all sprinkled with a smooth and slick surface Cal Pak Luggage Review