About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, April 4, 2011

Long time no updates

Yes, it's been a while. I know, I know...I've been slacking. Well, really I've been busy as of late.

As of last week, the KLR 250 Project is complete. Bike runs smoothly with no issues in sight, so I'm filing this one under "completed project". I'm hoping to get a trail run soon and will post pics and a report when that happens. For now, my testing has been limited to a short ride around town, and some sand riding behind the house. The little KLR is capable, but compared to my BMW it feel like I'm riding a death trap.

Over the past few weeks there were many projects around the house to complete, such as a new roof, replacing the trim around garage doors, and, this past weekend, splitting and stacking of wood for the next winter. I'm tired, but at least I got something done. The wood is a good endurance training; swinging an axe all day tends to be tiresome. But it helps me stay in shape, especially after the long winter.

Speaking of endurance. In two weeks, I'll be heading out on a six-day trip from NH to TN and back. Finally I'll get to do some riding. My plan is to ride the entire length of Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway, all the way to Tellico Plains, TN. There, I plan to ride The Dragon and the Moonshiner 28, along with Cherohala Skyway, before making my way back up north again. While I have the route planned for the way down, I have no plans yet for the way up. One option is to ride from Tn to West Virginia and look for some logging/mining roads, while the other option is to slab it to Chesapeake Bay and ride coastal route 1 back to NH. I've been thinking about this trip for years, and now that it's finally happening, I'm not even ready. The bike I'll be taking is my BMW G650GS, with all the luggage I can throw on it. I plan on camping along the way.

This brings me to yet another thing I have to do. It has become a habit of mine to write 'death letters' before any longer trip I take on the bike. Seems silly? Well, what if... While I enjoyed many years of accident-free riding, there is always the possibility of not making it this time around (or any time, really), so I usually write a goodbye letters to my family, which I carry with me. Nothing special, just some final instructions and a goodbye. This is somewhat uncomfortable, but I believe it will help provide some closure for the surviving spouse, kids, and parents. I also have a living will of sorts, instructing my spouse to unplug me if I'm in a coma for a certain number of days and there is a possibility of awaking either severely disabled or brain damaged. I wouldn't want to become a living vegetable.

As stated in an earlier post, riding makes me feel free, while at the same time making me aware of my own mortality. I do enjoy that feeling. Being aware, being at peace with my choices, yet knowing it could all end in a split second with a car driver taking a left turn and cutting me off. These are all risks we as motorcycle riders assume each and every time we ride.

How do you feel about death letters? Do you leave behind some instructions for your loved ones when you go for a long ride?

4 comments:

Stacy said...

I don't write death letters in advance of my trips, but I do have an "in case of extreme emergency" letter in our safe deposit box. I'd say dying would qualify as an extreme emergency.

I do need to get the ball rolling on an official living will, however. My partner and I will have special hoops to jump through for that particular process and I've never looked forward to it. Perhaps today's the day to start.

Thanks for the thought provoking post.

Henry Martin said...

Stacy. Thanks for the comment.

Yeah, it is a slightly morbid thought, but one never knows. I've been writing these for quite some time now, and up until recently these have remained a secret of mine. All this changed when my SO found one of the letters and read it.
In my past professional life (banking) I dealt with many customers setting up estate accounts. Many were completely unaware of what is where, what needs to be dealt with, et cetera. I take this as my responsibility, should I leave this earth prematurely. Generally, I list my life insurance policy number and contact info, what accounts are where and when due, my final wishes, and a wholehearted goodbye with a note about our life together. Lately, however, I've been contemplating creating a video message.

As for the living will, most hospitals have the free forms. Choose your options, sign it, get it notarized, and be done with it. You mentioned a partner. Assuming your state does not recognize your relationship, it is a good idea to get a power of attorney (specific to the issue at hand or a general one) which will grant you legal authority to act on your partner's behalf while he/she is still alive. No one wants to think about these things, for sure, but we all know that some day, some how...

Hey, Hunter S Thompson knew he wanted to be fired from a cannon across the desert. Not many of us know what we want. I'd like to be scattered near my favorite pond.

Keith said...

I never thought to do a death letter. I don't even have life insurance, which I realize is stupid for a 45 year old rider with a 2 year old son.

Henry Martin said...

I got life insurance when my first one was born. Nothing excessive, just enough to pay the mortgage off and a little extra. Term life, so I won't get anything unless I die, but it provides the extra peace of mind.