About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Sunday, April 10, 2011

KLR 250 Project: The Maiden Voyage

Finally a day nice enough to go riding, and what better way to test the KLR 250 than to hit some trails.

Since this was the first real ride on the newly assembled bike, I decided to take it easy and explore trails I've ridden before. Along with my buddy and his ATV (in case I need to get towed out of the woods), we started at a firepond in Swanzey, NH. Right at the pond is an entrance to the trail system, which not only spans for miles but also offers a wide variety of terrain, from sandy roads to tough Jeep trails.

Overall, we spent about 2 hours on the trails today, covering 10 miles.

It all started out rather well:
But quickly changed:

Compared to what I remembered from last year, the trails were in a much rougher shape. Water seemed to flow everywhere and the rocks and boulders were coming up all over the place.
We came across several water crossings I don't seem to recall being there last year:
But we also discovered a few rather well-groomed sections:
My lil'KLR performed flawlessly throughout the terrain, even the snow covered portions:
And of course, it enjoyed the smoother ones:
At one point, we came across a makeshift shooting range. Just one more reason to carry a piece with you when riding in the woods -- one never knows whom one encounters.
At one of the numerous water crossings, covered with snow and ice, my front end suddenly came to an abrupt stop. I was trying to cross the trail on the ice-covered part (since I had no idea how deep the water was) and my front just came through the ice. Fortunately, I was only in the second gear traveling rather slow. Had I been going fast, the abrupt stop would send me over the handlebars.
Overall, it was the perfect way to test the KLR after I've spent the better part of the winter restoring it to its former glory. Now, of course, she looks like a real ADV bike should look:

On a side note, today was my first time riding with proper off-road boots (opinions may vary): Axo Prime. Although lighter than some, at first I found to boots to be quite heavy and awkward. There was no way for me to upshift, which I luckily discovered in the garage prior to heading out, until I moved the shifter up two notches. Where before I use to brake by feel, I had no feeling for the rear brake at all. After the first couple of miles, however, the boots became more comfortable and I no longer found them awkward.


Well, a good day for the rider, the machine, and the gear.

The only difficulty I encountered was when crossing some downed logs. I lost momentum and got caught between two logs, with my front wheel blocked by one, and the rear spinning on top of the other. In the end, I managed to push the bike back a little where there was more traction, and thus clear the obstacle.

After riding the BMW on these trails, the KLR feels more at home, is easier to handle, and definitely more fun to ride.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Sounds like a wonderful ride. Are these trails close to your home? If so, it's great that you've got such good riding close by!

Henry Martin said...

Stacy,

Yes, these trails are near where I live. I'm fortunate to have access to miles and miles of trails within a 15 minute drive from my house.

Keith said...

you'll only get better; that's likely to be some of the roughest terrain of the season

It's a lot more fun with the proper tool, isn't it?