About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Saturday, August 6, 2011

CB750F Project: part VIII

Brake time!

When I first brought the bike home, the rear brake was completely stuck. The Previous owner drained all fluid from the reservoir, and took the bleeder out of the caliper. That's about it. He neither investigated further, nor attempted to fix the issue.

A week after I ordered two rebuilt kits the parts finally came, and I was able to get to the bottom of it. I started on the rear brake, as that was the one in the worst shape.






This is what 30 year old brakes hide under the dust seals
Ah...nothing like a broken circlip to make this easier. It was locked in place with rust, and took some heavy pounding to move.
And a little surprise underneath the flange. I swear, this fluid looks like the original, 30-year old fill.
Well, about 30 minutes of playing with a Dremmel and some brake cleaner, and things looked much better.

Time to get the new piston, seals, and spring in.
And voila...final assembly. I lubed the seals with fresh brake fluid prior to installation.

With the master cylinder rebuilt, I was able to use the hydraulic force to push the stuck piston out of the caliper. Except a hardened seal and some decent corrosion inside, the caliper looks good and can be reused. the piston, however, has some decent-size pitting. I'll have to look for a replacement.

Tomorrow I'll tackle the front.

3 comments:

Keith said...

Nice work! I was into the brakes of my bike today too. Do you have a rear drum?

Henry Martin said...

Oh Keith - rear is a single disc,m front is a dual disc. The one I worked on was the rear.

Today I spent about 7 hours trail riding. :)

Keith said...

It's good that you could get by with rebuilding the old units rather than buying new ones. I bet they are unavailable.