About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

CB750F Project: Brake Saga Continues

As stated in the previous post, I started working on rebuilding the brakes on my CB. There has been a slight delay, however, as the original OEM pistons were not up to the job. Yes, I could have probably polished them and called it a day, nevertheless, I don't like doing things half-ass.

And this is where I ran into a small problem: The rear OEM piston appears to be discontinued by Honda, and all the kits available on-line show three pistons of the same size - 38mm diameter by 35mm length. The rear piston, however, measures 38mm diameter and 41mm length. There were some pistons of the proper size available via Google.co.uk, but as with anything "reasonably" priced these days, the country of origin is likely China. Forgive my snobbery, but when given the choice, I'd rather not rely on Chinese made cast brake pistons.

The solution? I asked around, and ultimately found a machine shop willing to work with me on creating a set of brake pistons to match the OEM size. Not only these will be the correct length, but I could also specify the material. So, instead of ordering the questionable quality pistons on-line, I chose to order a set of stainless steel pistons made locally.  The availability of stainless steel makes for a product that will last much longer than the traditionally chrome-plated pistons which are prone to pitting. 

I always believed in supporting the local community whenever possible, and this was the perfect occasion.

The machinist had the new pistons ready for me the day after I ordered them. Frankly speaking, I spent more time searching for a set online, and driving around numerous parts stores, than it took to have them made.

And here they are, right next to the pitted OEM ones.



1 comment:

Keith said...

wow, great solution! I wouldn't have thought of that.