About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, March 16, 2015

Bandit 1200S side racks, Shad

On my previous Bandit, I had installed a full Givi setup with Wingrack and hard luggage. On this Bandit, thus far, I was able to get away with some inexpensive soft side bags. However, I never cared for the way the bags rested against the rear fairing, and putting any weight in them made the bags move around a lot.

After researching several side racks options, I decided on the Shad rear rack, knowing full well I would not be buying the Shad cases. All I wanted the racks for was to provide some support and attachment points for the various soft luggage systems I already own.

The Shad racks are probably the slimmest, least obstructive racks I had seen to date. The came with an extended arm for rear turn signals (and the signals themselves), which I did not care for, as they made the bike look weird, by stretching way beyond the frame. I cut these off with a saw, filed and painted the welds, and installed the racks.

This, of course, presented a problem as the racks interfered with the stock turn signals I wanted to keep. All I had to do was to make two hole lower on the rear fender, and relocate my turn signals down, using the stock hardware. A few minutes with a Dremmel took care of that.


 Here are the racks installed, both sides:

No comments: