About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Saturday, March 28, 2015

Bandit 1200 S Lower Motor Mounts - DIY

The US Bandits did not come with a lower motor mount, but the unused holes in the frame always bugged me.


So I decided to do something about it :)

I bought some 10mm aluminum plate, played around with a cardboard to make a template, then cut the template out of the aluminum.
The engine mounts are a bit offset from the frame mounts, by 7.5mm on my bike, so I needed to make a couple of spacers to fill that gap (in the photo above, the two square pieces above the brackets). Drilled a couple of 8mm holes and one 10mm hole in each, got the proper fasteners from my spares bin, and smoothed the edges of the aluminum.

Once painted and dry, I installed the brackets in place.





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, wondering if you noticed a handling or vibration difference as a result?
Thanks!

Henry Martin said...

Thanks for the question, and sorry about the delay. I'm not updating the blog these days.

I haven't noticed any vibration increase as a result. The same goes for handling. The motor is definitely more rigid in the mounts now, but I tend to ride in higher RPMs all along the range, so maybe the vibration frequency is less noticeable.

Dan said...

Hi I'm looking at making some of these myself to replace the horrible stock ones. How did you do the cutting of the shape? Also whenever I try and drill holes they always drift slightly - do you just centre punch yours?

Thanks

Dan

Henry Martin said...

Dan,
I did the cutting with a saw, the piece clamped down. Yes, I always center punch holes, and start with a smaller diameter pre-drill, before going to final size.