About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Bandit 1200S, moving along

Once I got the engine back in the frame, things should be easy, right? :)

I serviced the forks (new oil, kept the seals), greased the stem bearings, and popped the front end back in.
Then I started working on filling up the empty space above the valve cover (although I wish I could keep it empty - it would make valve adjustments much easier). First, I needed to install the breather. Since it was powdercoated, I needed to remove the PC from the matting surfaces. There is a fine way to clog files.
Once that was done, I leveled it nicely with a 600 grit wet sandpaper, and installed the cover.
Next, I played with the wiring harness. Trying to figure out how it was assembled in the first place was interesting. There appears to be no logical explanation for the harness to start at the right rear, snake over to the left, and continue on the right only to split into two way up front. But, with the harness in place, I was able to install the coils and plug wires.
Getting a little crowded in there.
Next item on the list was to install the clean carbs and the throttle cables. It took me many tries to get the cables in the right position so there would be no drag. Should be simple, really, but it wasn't. Finally I routed them this way.
And the carbs are back in.
Lastly, the PAIR valve went back in. I thought about eliminating it, and just making some blanking plates for the front, but the system had not given me any issues (yet), so I kept it in place.



The PAIR pipes went in next:

I opted to have the pipes powdercoated to match the frame. After removing the PC from matting surfaces, I installed new gaskets and bolted the pipes in place.
And, finally, the exhaust header.

The old gaskets did not look good, so I ordered some new ones. Suzuki really gets you on these small parts. $$$ spend everywhere.
And the header pipes bolted in place:
It is starting to look like a bike :)




No comments: