About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Lynx Fairing Install WR250R - part 3

In part three of this install, I'll talk about installing the dash and relocating the ignition.

The stock dashboard from Britannia comes with a hole drilled to allow access to the stock ignition. While many are happy with this setup, it is not ideal, as reaching the ignition is rather awkward when you have to reach over the crossbar.

Some WR owners replace their handlebars, others hack the ignition and move it elsewhere.

I wanted to move it elsewhere, but without damaging the tripples, so I was up against a challenge.

The stock ignition mounting points on the tripples get in the way of mounting it down low. I could have cut it off the tripples, but that would be ... hmm..weird.

So, I decided to move my ignition higher up, above the brake line and the instrument cluster.

Ian from Britannia sent me a blank dash (without holes) to play with, and I organized the instruments the best way I could while leaving room for the ignition.

Now, the ABS dashboard is stout, but the ignition cylinder is heavy. I wanted to make it more stout, so I got some 1/8" aluminum plate, bent it to match the angle of the dashboard, and traced the dashboard onto it.

A little while later, I had it all cut out using a scroll saw. Of course, I had the layout all figured out by then.

Next, I used some exterior double-sided tape between the dash and the aluminum backing (to dampen vibrations) and riveted the two pieces together with small, 1/8" aluminum rivets.
 After that, I made myself a spacer from a 1/2" aluminum bar. It copies the shape of the ignition cylinder mounting surface. Sure, I could have used a few washers instead, but this enlarges the contact area, making the whole connection a lot more stout, plus preventing centralized stress points on the dashboard.

The reason for the spacer - the cylinder is so tall that, without it, it would stick out too much.

I needed to make one more bracket. The stock instrument cluster bracket does more than just hold the cluster. It also keeps all the wires and the clutch cable neatly tucked away close to the tripples.

This one will do the same thing, and more (later). A simple 1/8" aluminum angle, cut and drilled. One hole is 6mm (instrument cluster mount), the other is 8mm (ignition mount).  The relief is where the cables go. 

This is where the bracket sits. Notice all the wires behind it. The added benefit is that now I have a solid, flat surface to adhere the relay to. The Britannia wiring harness has two relays with a mounting tape on them. They will stick nicely to the aluminum bracket (I will also ziptie them just in case). 
And here is the dash. I still have to make one extra hole for my waterproof outlet. It will go in the lower right hand corner, just under the instrument cluster.

The switch is for LED trail lights. The Britannia harness comes with two extra fused connections - one on all the time, the other on with ignition. I will wire the switch to one, and the outlet to the other.

Notice the 8mm stainless bolts with fender washers holding the ignition. One of the bolts is behind the instrument cluster, which, with the rubber washers supplied by Britannia, sits high enough to clear it.
I also have the RAM mount for my Nuvi 500 up there.

I only pulled the brake line out of the way to have a clear view at the dashboard. It clears everything just fine as it is.

And that's the job for the day. Perhaps more complicated than it had to be, but I like to build things to last.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

CBR Fairings
Awe-inspiring bequest! Your site is actually attention-grabbing. Personally i think love for this.