About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Friday, March 16, 2012

Seat Part II

Well, it wasn't as simple as I had thought it would be, but then again, what is.

After I had the seat on the frame, I sat on it a few times to make sure it was comfortable. It was, but there wasn't much room for shifting around, so I grabbed the belt sander again and enlarged the seating area. When that was done, I took a blade and trimmed the foam along the edge of the pan. Initially, I planned to wrap the foam around the lower edge of the pan, but decided against it. Instead, I ran a pipe of automotive edge trim around the perimeter of the pan to prevent the sharp edged from cutting the vinyl. I then wrapped the entire seat in a 1/4" foam to smooth out any transitions and contours.

To attach the vinyl, I drilled 1/8" holes spaced two inches apart around the entire perimeter of the pan, and used aluminum rivets with washers. All I have to say is that working with a nylon pan and a staple gun is much, much easier. I used a pick to punch through the vinyl, then worked the rivet through it, and did my best to align it with the holes in the pan. Leaving the vinyl on top of a heater for a few minutes helped with the stretching.

The underside is not the prettiest of sights, but instead of trimming the excess vinyl off, I glued it to the pan. This way, not all the stress is carried by the rivets and even if on of them rips through the vinyl, the cover will stay in place.

I also used the stock latch system to hold the seat in place. I think this is the cleanest, most convenient way to allow for seat removal so one has access to the air box and electronics. The only thing left to do is to rivet a piece of flat stock to the front of the seat, where it will slide under the tank tab.

No comments: