About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Thursday, September 1, 2011

Reworking the seat

When I first bought the white vinyl for the new seat, I matched the tank and fender white color to that of the vinyl. Unfortunately, the gas resistant clearcoat I used as the final coat, turned the bright white into a sort of cream white color. Not that I mind, as the color scheme looks even more vintage this way. Nevertheless, since the seat color is much brighter, it makes the seat stand out, rather than blend in.

After contemplating the resulting visual appearance last night, I started liking the white seat less and less. Don't get me wrong -- it definitely gave the bike a "one of a kind" look, but it did not sit right with me. So, today after diner, I decided to reupholster the seat in black vinyl. While the black seat most certainly stands out, it also compliments the other black pieces on the bike, and it breaks the bright blue and white color scheme.

As of now, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. I guess I'll have to give it a day or two to see how, and if, it will grow on me.





3 comments:

Keith said...

The white really stands out but black is pretty safe. I doubt anyone would look at it and say, "That really needs a white seat." You should be fine, but too bad it didn't match up better.

Anonymous said...

thats a sick bike, wish i was able to make mine look as good as yours. still learning though

Henry Martin said...

Thanks FUTUREUNTOLD. I hope you got my comment on your blog, along with the explanation. Again, no harm intended.

If you are bored one day, head over to ADVRider and check out some of the builds over there. There is a subforum under Olds Cool with cafe racer pics. Some amazing stuff.

Good luck on future projects.