About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Monday, September 22, 2014

WR250R - a do it all machine

A little ride this weekend on the WR250R proved to me that this little bike is an amazing do-it-all machine.

Not many pics from the ride, but here is the bike all loaded for camping:

The camping never happened, as I returned home the same night. Beat, but in a good way.

Here she is a little dirty. By the way, the Brittania fairing works wonders at high speed:
It was an awesome day riding some fine Vermont roads and some interesting trails.

The Brittania fairing setup keeps all the instruments right at my sight without having to take the eyes off the terrain:
And, in case you are wondering what an awesome day on an awesome bike looks like, here is the closeup of the GPS:


Safe travels!





8 comments:

Unknown said...

Wr is a great little bike, how is the lynx faring holding up?

Rider said...

Hi Henry, Do you still have the WR? How do you like it?

Rider said...

Hi Henry, Do you still have your WR? How do you like it?

Henry Martin said...

@ Rider - yes, I still have it. Many happy miles, many grins, and a trouble free machine. This year, due to a couple of injuries, I spent more time on my street bike (Bandit 1200) than on the WR. First I broke my big toe, which made it hard to stand on the pegs, and then, when I healed and went for a Black Friday ride, I cracked my ribs after the bike decided to dump me - a rock wedged between the swingarm and the tire, instantly locking up on an incline. No damage to the bike, but the battle between ribs and rocks went to the rocks.

Henry Martin said...

@ Charles Penner - The Lynx is doing just fine. I did not have to touch it other than one burned out lightbulb in the running light. The vibration when riding in the woods kills the filament. The fairing is holding up extremely well. I even managed to rub it against a tree a couple of times when riding single track, and it did not crack or chip. Very happy with Ian's (Britannia) product.

A fellow rider just bought his for his WR, and he got the new model with the lights vertically instead of horizontally like mine. I prefer the horizontal look.

Chris said...

Hi Henry

I now own this WRR, I bought it in May 2018 from a chap in Ohio called Quint. He bought a newer WRR and swapped over all the upgrades. So my bike looks pretty stock.

Strange, I found your website through a google image search of Rally fairing options for the WRR! I recognized the blue subframe and the orange exhaust heatshields and knew it was the same bike.

Thankyou for making this Blog, as it gives me a great history of what previous maintenance work had been carried out, like the fork rebuild.

Thought I'd let you know that its still running really well and it's in good hands, I've enjoyed a lot of riding this year already. I plan to do a good teardown and rebuild this winter.

Cheers
Chris

Henry Martin said...

Hi Chris,

sorry for the late response. Man, that is wild.

The guy I sold it to took it somewhere out West, if I remember correctly. How many miles on it now?

I hope the bike serves you well. Too bad about the upgrades - those made a huge difference.

Unknown said...

Yeah that's right he did mention he had taken it out west, Utah maybe..

Its currently at 13k miles and runs perfect, Iv'e put 2k on since last May.

I did a pretty gnarly single track/dual sport ride last year called the Buffaloe 500 in Columbus Indiana, which beat me up trying to keep up with the "road legal" KTM 2 strokes..

Mostly though I use it around Brown county and Hoosier National Forest in Southern Indiana, lovely twisty gravel roads..she's never missed a beat!

I love reading your adventures on this blog, as it gives me inspiration to ride thank you.

Oh, I'm planning to do a 4000 mile adventure ride around Europe next year on a 1955 BSA 650 Gold Flash, it's currently in England at my parent's house, bought it last year from an auction, it was my Grandfather's which he bought new in 1955. I found it and bought it back into the family..

I'm going to try and write a blog all about it, but I'm no writer Ha!