About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Sunday, July 10, 2011

CB750F Project: Part V

A short update on the CB750F saga:

I spent the last week sanding, prepping, cleaning, and taking things apart. When I bought this bike, I told my better half that it will be a winter project. Well, three weeks into it, I've been spending every night in the garage working on this and that, and my better half is getting annoyed. Perhaps even rightfully so.

Well, I keep telling her that I need to get all the painting done while the weather is warm, and that I will (likely) put things aside once that part is done. Nevertheless, as you probably know, dealing with an old motorcycle has its own challenges, and things never go as planned. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.) Still, I've been trying to stay true to my words, so I disassembled the entire bike, and started working on the paint scheme.

The frame presented one of the biggest challenges to date. Not only is it huge (compared to my other toys), but it also has a lot of welds, angles, and little crevices where rust tries to hide. While I would be happy to have someone sandblast and powdercoat the frame, after receiving a couple of quotes I had to abandon that idea. Powdercoating itself was expensive, and between the frame, swingarm, and a few other things, I would have to pay more than what I paid for the bike itself. The second difficulty was finding a place that would sandblast the frame, as it is larger than most of the blasting cabinets within 20 mile radius.
A week into it, however, I managed to convince my local body shop to let me use their sandblaster. Armed with a few bags of sand, I entered the blasting room with optimism. Two hours later, tired, dirty, and semi-deaf, I emerged again, holding a clean frame in my hand.

I ended up coating the frame with a white epoxy paint, and it is now hanging outside while I bring the garage to its former clean status so my better half can finally park there again.

In the mean time, my rear springs came back from the powdercoater, and they look like new. I can't wait to get my shocks painted, so I can reassemble them with those springs.

No comments: