About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

A good NH day

Today, the Harleys descended on the neighborhood roads like flies on steaming pile of shit. I'm not sure what, or where, was happening, but towards mid-day, I grew tired of the constant rumble of loud pipes and short-sleeved, no-helmet riders passing through my neighborhood. There is a sharply curved fork-in-the road in front of my house, and while I live on a secondary road that hardly sees traffic, today was an exception. The chrome, the poses -- it was all show and no skill.

Elbows deep in soil (transplanting shrubs and perennial flowers),every now and then  I glanced towards the road, only to see yet another middle-aged weekend pirate in leather chaps. Don't get me wrong, I actually like some Harleys, but I appreciate neither the culture nor the price tag their bikes "require".

Mid-afternoon, having finished what I set to do, I needed to get out to enjoy some peace and quiet solitude. And what better way then to get on the bike and hit the kind of roads where I can be almost certain not to run into the poser crowd. Fortunately, those roads are only a few minutes away from my house.






I only rode for about an hour, but it gave me the much needed break from all the noise nonetheless.

No comments: