About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Friday, September 28, 2012

Touratech front sprocket guard and chain guard

During maintenance, I realized that my stock sprocket cover was busted. First I thought about fixing it, but then the desire to farkle won.

How do you spell trouble? 
The front sprocket cover is a simple, two piece design.

At first, it did not want to fit properly as the front kept interfering with an engine case bolt, but with a little bending it worked out. I opted for the original design vs the Rally style, as the original maintains some protection between the chain and the engine, whereas the Rally appears wide open on all sides. I know I've picked some stuff on my chain in the past I would not want hitting the engine case.
  Since I was doing the sprocket cover, I also got the lighter, cleaner-looking chain guard.
Again, a simple, two piece construction with an extra ABS guard that goes on the opposite side.
The long vertical piece bolts to the chainguard, and then attaches to the bottom of the swingarm via a plastic hex spacer. Really? Not only those little bolts (3mm dia, IIRC) that attach the spacer are the weak link, but the lack of any through bolt leaves me wondering about the longevity of this piece. On the plus side, the hex spacer was far too long to fit: 
So I modified it with a nylon spacer, and a 6mm stainless through bolt.
I also read some stories about the TT chainguard breaking from vibration, so I used some O-rings between the chainguard and the mounting points on the swingarm. Loctite is a must :)
Overall, not a bad looking piece.

I also reused the stock BMW bolts since they are Torx and I already carry Torx bits on my bike (for all the other BMW stuff). The stainless Allen bolts just strip too easily.

Here is the ABS guard, again, attached with stock BMW bolts and backed by O-rings.

 So, my first impression of Touratech? Decent product at a not-so-decent price. The material could be much thicker and the instructions could be in English (German only). Shipping was fast and reasonable, packaging was exceptional, and their stuff is just...cool. The quality, however, could be better. Finish is rather nice, and there are no sharp burrs, but the parts lack "meat" for lack of a better word. 

My homemade light bar and rear master cylinder cover are three times as thick.

No comments: