About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Thursday, May 17, 2012

Opening air intake on BMW G650GS

I'm getting ready to install an easier-breathing exhaust on my 650GS, and since the engine will breathe easier out, why not help it get some more air in as well.

BMW uses a very restrictive snorkel  system that works okay with not allowing too much water into the intake, but at the same time, it does not exactly allow the engine to get plenty of air. Instead of removing the snorkel entirely (I've seen some users do just that) - we have a plenty of rain days here - I decided to open it up a little.

After removing the countless fasteners that hold the plastics on top of the faux tank, I inspected the air intake for dust - the reason behind it was to find a spot that receives no (or almost no) splashes. The obvious choice was the top of the snorkel just above the intake opening, and the flat part that faces the battery. Earlier today, I stopped at a hardware store and picked up a few of one inch snap-in bushings. Armed with a hole saw of the right diameter, I made three holes in the snorkel.


With the holes cleaned up, I scuffed the outside a little to provide some additional grip for the glue I planned to use, and then I got my supplies ready: Snap-in bushings AND some fiberglass screen (to prevent any unwanted entry into the airbox - bugs, debris...)

I then simply laid the screen over the holes and pushed the bushings into it. The bushings themselves provided enough tension to hold the screen in place, but I wanted some added security, so after trimming the screen, I ran a bead of glue around the bushings.

Now the airbox has almost double the intake surface area vs stock.

  

4 comments:

Unknown said...

your blog is excellent....I really liked your blog, appreciate the great information about Motorcycles Toowoomba QLD.

KD said...

Was this mod a improvement? Recently rode in a parade and the red "tank" got so freaking hot. The bike didn't over heat. Improvement?

Please advise.

KD said...

Have you noticed a big improvement with this mod???

Henry Martin said...

KD, yes, I did notice an improvement in mid range response. The bike runs a bit smoother. The first twenty miles or so were horrible, but once the ECU relearned itself, it came back to life stronger than before.
Keep in mind that I also run an aftermarket pipe (GPR, there is a post here somewhere). The pipe keeps things much cooler due to unrestricted air flow. With the CAT gone, the exhaust runs cool enough to touch it after a ride.