About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rear End

In an earlier post Playing with fiberglass I started making my rear cowl. Since then, there was some shaping, some cutting, some sanding, and a whole bunch of messing around with various body fillers to make this thing look respectable.

I started with the cowl in its final shape, sanded with a 60 grit paper to provide for some 'bite' when applying body filler.

Next, the filler was laid. I used Evercoat Everglass  as the base layer, followed by Lite Weight body filler.

After too many sanding sessions to mention (yeah, I'm not a body-repair guy), I filled the sanding marks with a glazing putty, re-sanded everything with a 400 grit paper, and shot the cowl in SEM high build primer/surfacer. It seems that no matter what I do, there are always little pinholes or fine scratches, and the SEM high build primer is the best thing I found in a rattle can. Unlike the usual suspects from Dupli, this thing dries hard, yet remains flexible. Yes, it is sitting on a heater - it's winter here.

Next I had to align everything on the bike to start messing with turn signals and the taillight. Actually, the bulk of the sanding and filling was done on the bike, not only to provide a steady platform, but also to ensure the fillers would be applied in the final shape to prevent cracking during final assembly. (notice the fine sanding dust all over the shocks). The cowl attaches via four mounting points: two 6mm bolts at the cross brace, and two 10mm bolts (in this case turn signal posts) on the sides, where the original sissy bar attached.

My initial inclination was to use a Lucas-style taillight, but that would sit on top of the cowl (like on my CB750). Since I wanted to make this bike as short as possible without modifying the frame, I decided on a smaller, LED unit that tucks away underneath the cowl, and also serves as a license plate mount. To attach this, I used a section of a plastic fender (from my scrap pile) that attaches to the stock inner fender, further eliminating stresses on the cowl. Not that there is any need, this thing has some serious layers of fiberglass mat.  
The wet spots are from some last minute sanding :)

No comments: