About Me

My photo
Henry Martin spends his nights writing fiction and poetry, which predominately deals with the often-overlooked aspects of humanity. He is the author of three novels: Escaping Barcelona, Finding Eivissa, and Eluding Reality; a short story collection, Coffee, Cigarettes, and Murderous Thoughts; and a poetry collection, The Silence Before Dawn. His most recent published project is a collection of Photostories in five volumes under the KSHM Project umbrella, for which he collaborated with Australian photographer Karl Strand, combining one of a kind images with short stories and vignettes. He is currently working on his next novel narrated in two opposing points of view. He lives with his family in the Northeast.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tool tubes and what's in them

A while ago I had a post covering the installation of 'tool tubes" on my GS. Since then, I've noticed quite a few bikes using either the same, or similar, tubes, to accomplish the same goal: Carry extra tools.

While these tubes are originally designed to carry operator's manual papers on farm equipment, their toughness, design, and water-tightness make these the ideal choice for extra tool storage on a bike.

Since I installed these, I've been able to carry extra stuff there just wasn't enough space for under the seat. In preparations for an upcoming trip, I decided to revisit what I use these tubes for. A feedback on what you carry would be appreciated.
The content, equally divided between the two tubes is as such:
 Amazingly, all this (except the chain lube) fits into the two tubes. I carry screwdrivers, 10mm-18mm socket set, Torx set, Allen wrench set, tire spoons, Self-fusing silicone tape (for hoses), electrical tape, spare fuses and bulbs, zip ties, multi-tool with a knife, ratcheting wrench, adjustable pliers, tube repair kit, and a small strap to either tie things down or to lift the bike from mud. 


In addition to these, I also carry a small first-aid kit featuring the typical assortment of pain killers, band aids, gauze, cold compress, alcohol wipes, iodine wipes, braces for finger (or wrist) fractures, burn pads (these are amazing), an emergency blanket, and other stuff. 

These items go with me whenever I take off for a ride.

No comments: